Old December 23rd 04, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Bus Etching Problem

Nick wrote:
"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message

Paul typed

We need someone strong enough to address the real problem. That's the
only way it will be stopped.

What do you see as the 'real problem'? Some people will do almost
anything if nobody is there to stop them.

I think the only thing that would stop graffitti / etching /seat
slashing is the presence of enough staff to prevent such actions. This
is expensive.

Indeed - and when did you hear either Bob Kiley or Ken Livingstone say
something about this? Truth seems to be that those who could do something
about it don't seem to care (seemingly more concerned at slagging off 4x4
drivers - not that I have any particular like of 4x4 drivers, but vandals
are by far a bigger enemy).

The levels of vandalism on public transport in the general London area and
surrounds is quite simply appalling AND it's perhaps even more appalling
that the Mayor and other senior figures aren't doing more to combat it. We
should never have let it get this bad, but now it requires an enormous
amount of energy and money to recover the situation. I remember when the
Networker trains in NW Kent began to get their windows etched - what did the
train companies do - put extra staff on trains and stations to stamp out the
problem? No, they did absolutely nothing and the problem mushroomed out of
control to what we see today.

I am quite sure privatised transport operators would care a great deal more
if their subsidy was signficantly adversely affected by levels of vandalism
present on their vehicles. Maybe this is the only realistic way we will get
something done about it.

Actually, the PPP contracts specify that Underground trains can't go
into service if they have been graffitied - when was the last time you
saw a graffitied (rather than etched) Underground train? That approach
seems to work.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7