Old December 23rd 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default New Vauxhall bus station/'interchange'

In message , Mait001
writes
I think there are a couple of issues. One is a laudable desire to
provide some nicely designed "different" buildings

Why is this laudable

Ask Charles Holden or Frank Pick.

This is meant to be a convenient transpoprt interchange, not a Tracy Emin-style
work of art.

As it happens, I particularly dislike the confection at Vauxhall.
However, good, striking design *can* make a difference, encouraging more
use of a service and - for instance - making using these places safer
(good sight lines, lots of lighting and glass.

You have only to compare using the Jubilee Line Extension to using, say,
the North London Line, to see what a difference to the public good
design can make.

Incidentally, I used Chiswick Park for the first time yesterday. What
a great Holden (I assume) design. It's interesting to see that some
period signs have been maintained there, together with explanatory
plaques explaining that some of the places listed are no longer served
by District Line trains.

This is fine
provided you don't spend huge sums achieving it

Yes, the fare-payers' and tax payers' money!

As usual, all form and no substance - but in this case eventhe form is
doubtful!

Despite my comments above, I'd largely echo your sentiments about
Vauxhall. However, I'd be interested to hear if such things as
security/safety have been improved as a result of the new design.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk