Old December 25th 04, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
CharlesPottins CharlesPottins is offline

Default Networker refurbishment (was Bus Etching Problem)

This problem of etching is getting widespread around parts of Hillingdon,
effecting buses, bus shelters etc., like an epidemic, and I think the culprits
are wandering bands of kids. They do bus windows from the inside, so we are
subsidising them to ride around disfiguering the vehicles (another problem is
obliterated bus stop timetables etc so we cannot read them).
I think they also rely on a social atmosphere in which adults feel inhibited
or intimidated from interfering with them, so look the other way.
Various reasons for this - the removal of bus conductors, the fact that those
travelling on buses, apart from the cocky yobbos, are often elderly and
infirm; the fact that local police, despite promises to disperse gangs etc, are
rarely to be seen and (in my experience) slow to respond, even seem
uninterested; the fact that some parents not only don't know or care where
there kids are and what they are up to, but respond to any complaint of
misbehaviour by rounding on the complainants.
What to do? Well, ideally, we need some determination among residents and the
travelling public to reassert some order and
stop letting estates and transport be ruled by the lumpen and yobbos; and some
backing from authority for this. Wouldn't that lead to vigilantism? If
necessary, yes.
If we take the law into our own hands maybe the people we pay to provide safety
and services will get off their asses.
Meanwhile, a couple of suggestions. One, where possible bring back conductors,
even if their job would be more about security than fare-collecting - we used
to call them "guards" anyway. On trains as well.
Second - and lighter on manpower - to set up mobile squads, plainclothes, that
would turn up unexpected and unannounced on trains and buses, or arrive at bus
stations, and be empowered to make arrests. It would not mean everyone doing
stuff got caught, but it would act as a deterrent, as news spread that Jimmy
Higgins and his mates were innocently etching a window or whatever yesterday
when two geezers came up and nicked them.
While they're at it they could walk along tube trains making people take their
feet down off seats. Time was I used to remark on this in my carriage, but I'm
getting older, and the problem has grown so on some lines it's getting like if
you don't put your feet up you're the odd one out. (same with station seats
where its de rigur with teenagers to sit on the back with feet on the seat)
Guess its less of a problem in rush hours and central London where there's
seldom room, but out here the way some people stretch out, particularly young
women lately, you'd think they'd booked bed and breakfast.