Old August 7th 03, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Andrew P Smith Andrew P Smith is offline

Default Wanna be cool? Take the tube!

In article , Richard J.
writes
Andrew P Smith wrote:
In article , Phil Richards
writes

On the subject of the tube, the "In this hot weather" posters mention
that "long term solutions are being looked in to. I know the
engineers all seem to respond with the usual "Oh no, we can't
possible do that" statement as soon as the subject of air
conditioning on the tube is uttered, but perhaps LUL can up date us
on what these "long term solutions" exactly are.

The tube has 2 issues when it come to air con.

1. The stations

2. The trains

snip

On trains you have to site the units somewhere. On stock on the Picc
and Northern etc it may be difficult to fins the space - possibly
easier on the Met style stock where there is more space. However, as
with the stations what do you do with the heat and moisture to
disperse it? On open sections of track it wouldn't be a problem, in
tunnels it would!

The Singapore Metro has air-conditioned trains and stations. Do you know how
the heat and moisture from the trains is handled? Is it just dumped in the
stations for the station aircon to deal with?

I imagine they designed the system with ac in mind. When the underground
was built, it was never considered and may not have even existed then!

In New York City, the trains have ac and they dump the heat into the
tunnels which are well vented.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this