Old December 27th 04, 10:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian F. Ian F. is offline

Default '0207 008 0000'

"A H" wrote in message

All day long the lazy journalists of the UK media have been giving out the
emergency telephone number for the SE Asia earthquake and subsequent tidal
waves in the format:

'0207 008 0000'

1. I don't think it really matters any more. I'm sick of reading out numbers
to people in the correct way - 020 7xxx xxxx - only to have them not
understand, until I repeat it as 0207 xxx xxxx . I've given up - if you
can't beat 'em, join 'em.

2. I think the people, frantic with worry for the safety of their loved
ones, who call the emergency line have a little more to be concerned about
than how the number is formatted!

Ian