Old December 27th 04, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Phone Nos (was '0207 008 0000'

Mrs Redboots wrote:
Michael Bell wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 27 Dec 2004:

I think rhythm is important here, many people break phone Nos into
triplets, but it's into duplets on the continent.

Really, of course, we should quote London numbers in the same way
that we quote every other number (mobiles included) - as a group of
5 followed by a group of 6.

We don't quote all other numbers as 5+6. Manchester, for example, has
had 3-digit exchange numbers for years (originally with letters like
London), so that CENtral 1234 became 061-236 1234, and is now 0161 236
1234. The same is true of Liverpool, Birmingham, Glasgow, etc.

Reading (0118), Coventry (024) and several others have had new exchange
codes, and should be and often are quoted correctly with their 3 or
4-digit area code. (Though 024 is actually shared with other areas!)

Also, I certainly don't adhere to any particular grouping of mobile
numbers, preferring to group the digits in the most memorable way. Do
any of the mobile phone companies or any other relevant body recommend a
particular format for mobile numbers?

--
Richard J.