Old December 28th 04, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John John is offline

Default Putting roof-level railways underground?

In article , Michael Bell
writes
In article , CharlesPottins
wrote:
I thought the reason underground tube lines were less common south of the
river was the number of underground streams? (Please don't tell me this was
an urban myth!)

I always thought it was because the Southern Railway was so efficient at
surface transport.

Michael Bell

Reading Christian Wolmar's book, he suggest the reasons were that land
was cheaper south of the river and there were no interested parties to
insist on deviations, etc. Additionally, the ground was less suited to
the cut and cover method of the early underground lines.

--
John Alexander,