Old December 28th 04, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive Coleman Clive Coleman is offline

Default Phone Nos (was '0207 008 0000'

In message , Richard J.
writes
number, i.e. 020.

All very interesting, but just goes to show the snobbery of the
people who try to point out their [= they're] living in the London
area, as I've never read anything authoritative on telephone number
groupings.

How on earth can you deduce any snobbery from that eminently practical
suggestion? In fact the snobbery lies with people who have to
emphasise that they live in the "0207" part of London.

I'm coming to the conclusion that "just goes to show" often means
"matches my prejudices".

To be honest, I was just thinking of the old "Beattie" ad, where when
the numbers were first introduced, a friend rings Beattie on her "our of
town number" so she rings back to make sure her friends inner-city
number is working.
--
Clive.