Old December 31st 04, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Shelley John Shelley is offline

Default '0207 008 0000'

Martin Underwood wrote:
"John Shelley" wrote in message
news

snip

Ah, so new suscribers in an area potentially get a brand new district
number that's unrelated to that of all the other subscribers in that
area? Yes, I suppose that's one way of solving the problem. Do all
subscribers in one area get one new code and all those in another
area get different code: can you still say "xxxx [a new code] is
Harrow, alongside yyyy [the existing code]" or is the
code-to-location mapping lost?

The code to location mapping is, I believe, becoming blurred. My BT phone
is 020 8863 xxxx, and my NTL phone line 020 8357 xxxx. How big an area the
NTL 8357 covers I don't know, and my BT knowledge is now rusty, 12 years out
of it. What you can say is all esubscribers numbers on an specific exchange
number are within a specified area (excluding out of area lines of course).
The size of the area will vary and the area may well cover some, or all, of
the area covered by another exchange. This is definately a possible, maybe
situation.

--
Cheers for now,

John from Harrow, Middx