Old January 1st 05, 02:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default '0207 008 0000'

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 1 Jan 2005:

What might the rest of the exchange be used for? I know that part of the
WIllesden exchange in Harlesden Road is being / has been converted to
flats,
but what about others?

The one in Worthing, which was originally the old Swandean exchange and
was upgraded when STD came in in the 1960s (before then, we had to lift
the telephone and wait for an operator to notice that we had done so),
has been pulled down and houses built on the site, I gather. My
parents' number was originally Swandean XXX, when we moved into that
house in 1959 - these days it's Worthing YYYXXX, but the final 3 digits
are the same as they always were!

My parents number went from Stoke Mandeville (01296 61) XXXX to Aylesbury
(0296) 61XXXX - so not a lot of change there!