Old January 1st 05, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Vehicle registrations (was '0207 008 0000')

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Martin
Underwood writes

I'd have thought that U and V were fairly easy to distinguish - unlike a
letter D, a letter O and a digit 0 which *can* very easily be confused in
the square font that's used on numberplates. OK, so you won't have an O or
0
in the year position, but D and O are allowed interchangably in
three-letter
part of the numberplate. DDO, DOD, ODD, OOD and other permutations are
extremely hard to distinguish.

And U was used in the Isle Of Man for MAN xxxU, AMN xxxU etc.
registrations similar to British ones.

I didn't know that? So did they use the letter suffix to denote the year? If
so, did it start at the same time as in Great Britain - ie A=1963, B=1964
etc? If so, I presume it went out of sync in the early 80s when IOM used U
and GB used V.