Old January 1st 05, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Fitzgerald Steve Fitzgerald is offline

Default Vehicle registrations (was '0207 008 0000')

In message ,
Martin Underwood writes

And U was used in the Isle Of Man for MAN xxxU, AMN xxxU etc.
registrations similar to British ones.

I didn't know that? So did they use the letter suffix to denote the year? If
so, did it start at the same time as in Great Britain - ie A=1963, B=1964
etc? If so, I presume it went out of sync in the early 80s when IOM used U
and GB used V.

They followed the same basic sequence as us although I don't know if
they adopted it at the same time. MAN xxxA - MAN xxxY then Axxx MAN -
Yxxx MAN. They seem to have arbitrarily also used MAN xxxx and xxxx MAN
over the years too. They are currently using the series (I think
they're up to) GMN xxxA - GMN xxxY having started at AMN a few years
ago. The marks MAN and MN were reserved for their use and were never
used on the mainland. The London office that issued AN multiples never
used MAN for that reason.

It certainly doesn't seem to follow our years and one just follows on
from the last one.