Old January 1st 05, 10:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default '0207 008 0000'

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:24:45 -0000, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

By the way, how did changing from 0171 xxx yyyy or 0181 xxx yyyy to 020 7xxx
yyyy or 020 8xxx yyyy help alleviate the shortage of available numbers in
London? It didn't increase the number of available phone numbers - all it
did was to change the mapping slightly. OK, so there's scope for additional
district codes beginning with digits other than 7 or 8, but it's not
districts that are in short supply, it's subscriber numbers (the xxxx in the
above example).

I think the intention is to have 020 [0-9]xxx xxxx, giving quite a lot
of extra numbers. While I doubt there'd be a mass renumbering of
existing districts, I suspect some districts may well end up with two
prefixes to give more capacity.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain