Old January 1st 05, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stuart Stuart is offline

Default '0207 008 0000'

Sunil Sood wrote:

"John Rowland" wrote in
message

What might the rest of the exchange be used for? I know that part of
the WIllesden exchange in Harlesden Road is being / has been
converted to flats, but what about others?

However, I gather most of the extra space has simply been mothballed in the
past and is actually gradually coming back into use - now that developments
like xDSL and LLU mean that more space is needed in exchanges and the
distance from an exchange to the end user becomes an issue (before it wasn't
really a factor) - its also less likely that exchanges will be totally
closed in future because of this - though I believe there are still have
plans to close a couple of exchanges in Central London.

Aren't they renting out space to the other telecoms suppliers for their
local loop equipment?