Old January 2nd 05, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default '0207 008 0000'

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:15:50 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:
I think the intention is to have 020 [0-9]xxx xxxx, giving quite a lot
of extra numbers. While I doubt there'd be a mass renumbering of
existing districts, I suspect some districts may well end up with two
prefixes to give more capacity.

We could have [2-9]xxx xxxx; to get the others we would have to
require people to dial the whole number for all calls (as you would
from a mobile), effectively removing the idea of an area code all
together, as a number of continental European countries have done. I
don't think many have yet allocated any numbers that wouldn't have
been "right" before though, new numbers in Paris are still 01...,
Madrid still 91...

Perhaps Ofcom could do some advertising that actually works this time,
when London starts to get 3xxx xxxx numbers.

Richard.