Old January 3rd 05, 07:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default '0207 008 0000'

In article ,
Martin Underwood writes
I'm usually fairly clued-up about technical changes like this, but I hadn't
appreciated that there was an interim time when 0208 xxx yyyy and xxx yyyy
were valid:

There wasn't.

There was a long period when both the old form (0181 xxx yyyy) and the
new form (020 8xxx yyyy) were both handled by exchanges. The same was
true for all the other renumberings (e.g. 01222 xxxxxx = 029 20xxxxxx).

London, however, had a "flash cut" when local dialling changed from 7
digits (hence code 01[78]1) to 8 digits (hence code 020).

What a shame the Oftel made such a dog's breakfast of the changes in
London and didn't have the foresight to go straight from 01 xxx yyyy to 020
7xxx yyyy in one go :-(

They were advised better, but ignored it.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: