Old January 5th 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Iain Iain is offline

Default Oyster virgin - be gentle

"Dave Plumb" wrote in
:

Has anyone gotten round to sewing their Oystercard into their coat
sleeve? You could keep the photo card seperate just in case and as
long as you don't need to pass the card through a ticket window you
should be ok - surely?

For a while now I've been tempted to do something like that so that the
Oyster sits somewhere halfway up my forearm, and then go to one of the
more touristy central London tube stations and go through the barriers
by waving my arm over the oyster scanner and at just the right moment
clicking my fingers with a flourish. Very puerile but I'd love to see
the expression on people's faces!

I've seen women with it in the bottom of their handbags, they just
plonk the whole handbag on the reader pad, or more often have to tip
everything out holding everyone else up when it doens't work

By wife does this (puts the Oyster in her handbag and plonks that on the
reader). She tells me it's never not worked -- but then she's got a
small compartment on the front of the handbag which it lives in, rather
than being in the main bit of the bag where it can get mixed up with
everything else.

I found the other night I can't keep my Oyster in the same wallet as
my works ID (which also has an embedded chip to get me in and out of
buildings) - the Oyster pad reads the works ID and ignores the
Oyster. It flashes up a code 70 (read error - re-present card).
Putting it on a ticket machine shows "Your smartcard is not
initialised for Prestige". The system at work ignores the Oyster card
totally.

This is what really prompted me to reply to this thread. My workplace
also uses an embedded-chip smartcard to get through doors and it works
in a very similar way to Oyster -- simply wave the card within a couple
of centimetres of the reader and the door opens. I was wondering if any
problems would be caused if I also put the Oyster into the holder for my
works ID ... and it looks like it would. Oh well, so much for that idea.

Oh well, it's progress I guess, but not as we know it I'm sure a
silver foil pad would make the wallet work one way for Oyster, the
other way for work ID ...

With the added bonus that "they" wouldn't be able to read the secret
information from your card from afar with their Evil Scanning Devices

Iain