Old January 5th 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] mpjashby@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Do we need cross-river trams? (Long appendix)

The big problem for London, created by parliament,
who in their wisdom, many times in the 19th century,
wouldn't allow a London "central" station to be built,
is that most commuters come into the the south
bank

Do they? All the termini except Waterloo and London
Bridge (which isn't a terminus for many trains anyway)
are south of the river; Liverpool Street, Moorgate,
Old Street, King's Cross, St. Pancras, Euston,
Marylebone, Paddington, Victoria, Charing Cross,
Blackfriars, Cannon Street and Fenchurch Street
are all north of the river. [geography lesson over]

with a walk just to long to be convenient, to
reach their city centre destinations.

Which is why we have the Underground and one of
the world's most comprehensive bus systems.

So, the
"Cross-River Tram Project". Since we can't change
the past at all, nor its consequences at a reasonable
price, the logic of the cross river tram plan is
incontestable. But does it have to be trams?

The Cross-River Tram scheme isn't meant to get
commuters from Waterloo across the river, it's to
increase capacity between Euston / King's Cross
and Brixton / Camberwell via Kingsway -- a route
currently covered by various very busy buses.

Matt Ashby