Old August 9th 03, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
j j is offline

Default UK subway systems

ah, thanks for the info.

ok, now for a dumb question... What about the word tube for the London
trains? I take it this refers to the tubular shape of most of the
lines/trains?

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
s.com...
"M J Forbes" wrote in message

"john" wrote in message
I know it's a bit off topic, but do any other cities (other than

London)
in
the UK have a subway system?

Glasgow does, and Newcastle has a light-rail system called the "Metro",

part
of which is underground.

Also, here in the UK we tend to use the word "subway" to describe a
pedestrian underpass beneath a road, rather than an underground railway
system.

Are any of the lines in central Liverpool classed as being an underground
system, or are they all just part of the National Rail system which

happens
to go below ground?