Old January 6th 05, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Do we need cross-river trams? (Long appendix)

What about belts? Their capacity is stupendous, and there
would no
problem fitting them into the south bank nor onto the bridges across

the
river. There

A few thoughts

Cost:
Building it would probably involve as much disruption as laying
tram tracks and be even more complex. £££££.

Maintenance:
A few years of rain, sun, snow , vehicles driving over it would
probably kill it dead.

Safety & Practicality:
How do you propose a constantly moving belt crosses major intersections
when it has hundreds or thousands of people are in the vehicles on it
any
any one time? Stop the whole belt on a red? Stop bits of bit?
Disconnect
the vehicle and risk the next one hitting it unless you have some
complex
control system? I can just see the HSE really going for this one.

Moving belts/chains have been dumped as impractical even on reserved
rights of way railways, using them in a street setting is an absurd
idea.

B2003