Old January 7th 05, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default TfL Strange Journeys

wrote:
I agree that the Journey planner is a bit wierd - pick an end
destination that is very specific and it can give you very strange
routes.

For example, I work in Victoria and wanted to go to a friend's after
work who lives just off the main road past Hackney Town Hall (he
actually lives right on the 277 bus route). If I key in his road as a
destination, rather than "Hackney Town Hall", Journey Planner gives me
a route with the Victoria Line to Highbury (!) and then a loooong
journey on the 277.

Now, some people may know that the 38 bus goes from Victoria station
straight to Hackney Town Hall - does this come up as a possible route
with "38 bus and then a 5 minute walk"? Nope :-\ Journey planner is
worse than useless IMHO...

Does it come up with the 38 if you only tick the Bus option? Or if you
tick the "Least number of interchanges" option?

The default settings are to find the fastest route; the Victoria Line
suggestion may well be that.

It's a bit harsh to say it's "worse than useless". It does its job
pretty well IMO, much more so than any other UK journey planner.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7