Old January 7th 05, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Charlie Pearce Charlie Pearce is offline

Default '0207 008 0000'

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:54:01 +0000, Clive Page
wrote:

In article , Charlie Pearce
writes
But the area codes were *never* 0207 and 0208 - this is just a (very)
commonly-held misconception because the changeover wasn't communicated
well enough.

Well we are getting in to questions of semantic, I fear, as to the
meaning of "dialling code". I still think that during the transition
period, when the local numbers were 7 digits long, and one could call
them by starting dialling 020... that, following the rules of the ITU
E.123, the space in the number should have preceded the local part of
the number, i.e. before the last seven digits. So that the number could
have been given either as 0171 xxx yyyy or with equal validity 0207 xxx
yyyy.

I disagree - the number could have been given as either 0171 xxx yyyy
or 020 7xxx yyyy during the transition period, but you could only
choose to dial 0171 xxx yyyy, xxx yyyy or 020 7xxx yyyy.

Charlie

--
Remove NO-SPOO-PLEASE from my email address to reply
Please send no unsolicited email or foodstuffs