Old January 8th 05, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Oyster Pre-Pay over-charge?

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:16:18 +0000, Jason wrote:

On Tuesday evening , WAGN rail from Essex Road (Z2) to Highbury and
Islington, then Victoria line to Walthamstow Central (Z3) was charged
at £1.80 instead of £1.10

My first thought was that the journey had 'timed-out' and charged a
Z2-6 fare which is £1.80,

When I 'touched-in' at Essex Road, a change of mind meant I went back
to the ticket office (it's ungated) to renew a Period Travelcard -
thus adding an extra 15 minutes to my journey time.

Seeing as I touched in *and* out, within a reasonable timeframe (about
45 minutes) I assumed this shouldn't be the case.

So it's either my journey time was too long, or the fare was charged
incorrectly. Which is more likely?

My guess - and please note that it is a guess - is that the validator is
set to deduct £1.80 on entry and the gates at Walthamstow failed to
credit the 70p to give you a charge of £1.10. Looking at the TfL fares
leaflet there is mention as to what the fare deduction on entry is post
the fares revision.

I don't buy the time out theory because for some services you can take
15 minutes from validation until catching the train you need and then
you have the journey time on the top. Once the entry record is on the
card it cannot "time out" - it is what happens at exit and on reading of
the entry record that is important.

I assume there is no requirement for you to validate at Highbury as you
change from GN to Victoria Line services? The notices don't list any
specific requirement to do so but I was told a long time ago that the
validator would know what to do depending on the journey record on the
card.
--
Paul C