Old January 8th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Phil Richards Phil Richards is offline

Default Oyster prepay fare capping

Dave Arquati wrote:

Ah yes, that topic that is dredged up again and again (frequently by me!).

We had some discussions on whether the fare caps would be the same price
as Travelcards, given that Oyster Prepay is not yet valid on most
National Rail services. The latest set of Mayor's Q&As (15 Dec) on the
GLA site has an answer to that very question.

http://mqt.london.gov.uk//public/question.do?id=9496

"Oyster Pre Pay daily caps will be set at Travelcard prices with one
exception. The cap for zone 1-6 travel after 9:30 am and all day on
weekends and holidays will be £5.70 - 30p less than the corresponding
Travelcard price.

In the meantime, I see no reason why fare capping for one day bus passes
can't be introduced at least as temporary measure until the mess is sorted
out with Travelcards. Clocking up a series of bus journeys at 80p (£1.00
for am peak after late February) until a £3.00 ceiling limit is reached is
hardly rocket science.....

Although Oyster Pre Pay is not valid on National Rail,
except for inter-available routes, 74% of customers buying one-day
Travelcards from TfL use only TfL services. Adhering to Travelcard
prices is preferable to adding one more set of price points to an
already too complicated fare structure.I hope that Train operating
companies will adopt Oyster smart card ticketing as soon as possible."

Better still for the TOCs to adopt a zone to zone fare structure rather
than point to point bringing it in line with LUL.

--
Phil Richards
London, UK