Old January 9th 05, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mait001 Mait001 is offline

Default London Squares

an anti-clockwise
one-way system is superior (because drivers have better visibility when
curving to the left).

There might be better visibility once in the square, curving to the left, but
surely with traffic going clockwise, entry TO the roundabout, square or
whatever is much easier than if the traffic were coming from the left, since
visibility is better to the entering driver, sitting on the right, if traffic
is also coming from the right.

That same logic is why, presumably, in countries where traffic drives on the
right, roundabouts etc. are anti-clockwise.

In sharp contradistinction to this, have you witnesses the complicated traffic
signalling etc. needed where there ARE anti-clockwise roundabouts in the U.K.?
I am thinking particularly of Hammersmith (and now Vauxhall) Bus Stations. The
Hammersmith entry/exits are particularly tortuous, and several people have been
knocked down (I think one may have died) when trying to walk across the
Southern entry/exit lanes on Hammersmith Broadway (i.e. parallel to the
flyover) because of the odd direction of those lanes, which are opposite to the
way you would expect traffic to travel.

Marc.

Marc.