Old January 9th 05, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default London Squares

"Mait001" wrote in message
an anti-clockwise
one-way system is superior (because drivers have better visibility when
curving to the left).

There might be better visibility once in the square, curving to the left,
but
surely with traffic going clockwise, entry TO the roundabout, square or
whatever is much easier than if the traffic were coming from the left,
since
visibility is better to the entering driver, sitting on the right, if
traffic
is also coming from the right.

If London squares are configured as clockwise roundabouts, it allows the
normal "give way to traffic on your right that's already on the roundabout"
rule to be used; otherwise a contrdictory, counter-intuitive rule would have
to be used in those circumstances: hence there woudl be the need at every
junction to think "Is this a clockwise roundabout or an anticlockwise one?
Do I give way to traffic on my right or on my left in this specific case".
Better to have one rule for all situations.