Old January 9th 05, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default London Squares

Martin Underwood wrote:
"Niklas Karlsson" wrote in message
Mark Brader wrote on Sun, 09 Jan 2005 04:44:21 -0000:
John Rowland:
Nearly all London squares have a clockwise one-way system, even
though when all of the roads in and out of the square are
one-way, an anti-clockwise one-way system is superior (because
drivers have better visibility when curving to the left). ...

Perhaps this was done in preparation for a changeover to driving
on the right. After all, now that Britain is part of the EU...

Sweden had left-hand driving until September 3, 1967.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagen_H

The costs of doing this in the UK today would be prohibitive, ...
every car would need to scrapped and replaced with an LHD car.
... I certainly wouldn't contemplate driving an RHD on the
right-hand side of the road because of the visibilty problems
when overtaking or pulling out obliquely from a motorway slip-road.

Ever noticed those white oval plates with GB on them? Ever thought how
their owners managed to drive in LHD countries? The idea that you would
have to scrap all RHD cars if we changed the rule of the road is absurd.
Yes, there are some problems, and overtaking on narrow
single-carriageway roads without a passenger to help you is nasty , but
I've never had a problem on a motorway apart from paying at the péage
where the kiosk is on the British nearside.
--
Richard J.