Old January 9th 05, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Undressing Exhibition Road

Dave Arquati wrote:
The BBC's term for this idea is a "naked road". Apparently RB
Kensington & Chelsea are considering removing the kerb, traffic
lights and signs on Exhibition Road to trial the Dutch scheme where
removal of all barriers and signs is meant to encourage drivers to
be more aware of pedestrians. This is part of a redevelopment plan
for Exhibition Road.

It's an interesting idea; Exhibition Road is an interesting road to
choose too. It has a high volume of pedestrian traffic; however, it
also has a large number of street parking spaces at the southern
end. I wonder if these would be removed under this proposal?

This was one of my main concerns when I read about the plan in The Times
last week. (They also used the term "naked road".) They implied that
there would be no kerbs, so I don't quite see how parking would work.
There is a considerable amount of both residents' and metered parking on
this road, including IIRC some bays in the centre of the road. If they
abolish all those, it will be highly inconvenient for both local
residents and visitors to the museums and the Royal Albert Hall.

It's also a major route between the Paddington/Edgware Road area and
Kensington/Chelsea. While I quite like the idea of the "naked road", I
can't help feeling that this wide, straight through-route is not really
suitable to try out the concept in London.
--
Richard J.