Old January 9th 05, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim tim is offline

Default London Squares

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
"Richard J." wrote in message
news
Martin Underwood wrote:
"Niklas Karlsson" wrote in message

Ever noticed those white oval plates with GB on them? Ever thought how
their owners managed to drive in LHD countries? The idea that you would
have to scrap all RHD cars if we changed the rule of the road is absurd.
Yes, there are some problems, and overtaking on narrow
single-carriageway roads without a passenger to help you is nasty , but
I've never had a problem on a motorway apart from paying at the péage
where the kiosk is on the British nearside.

If I had to drive in mainland Europe, I'd always hire a car locally and
wouldn't contemplate taking my own RHD car over there

Having done both, I find that sitting on the wrong side
of the car is far harder to get used to than positioning
myself on the wrong side of the road.

With my RHD car I just have to accept that I can't overtake
on single carriageway roads, but fortunately most journeys
nowadays are on motorways.

With a LHD car I still position myself on the right half of the
carriageway and end up with the bulk of the car: in the kerb,
scraping a wall or occupying both lanes of a dual carriageway

Which countries still drive on the left?

- UK/Ireland, obviously
- Channel Islands
- Australia
- Malta
- Gibraltar? Or does that drive on the left like Spain?
- Japan (I wonder why)

What about former British colonies like India? I *think* they still drive
on the left.

Anywhere else?

Most of Arfica.

Apparently, by population a larger percentage of the world
nominaly drives on the Left than the right, but most of the
countries that make up this large total have very low car
ownership

tim