Old January 9th 05, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default "The Subterranean Railway" - Wolmar

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 19:27:14 +0100, "Alan \(in Brussels\)"
wrote:
It's not too late - line 3 (partly down the tunnel formerly occupied by the
river Senne beneath the central boulevards) is still tram-only (now with
platforms on both sides of each track at the busiest stations, as part of
the upgrade for wheel-chair access) and will remain so even when the next
batch of trams are delivered. See the STIB's web site for the current
network plan etc. (www.stib.be ). IIRC you could take a Eurostar day-trip
and visit Transpole ( www.transpole.fr ) en route too...

Have they improved any of the stations as part of the work to provide
access to the other platform? I was last there almost a year ago and
it wasn't an inviting travelling environment. The metro stations
seemed better, in general. Brussels seems to have many odd bits of
line, I found a web page about them once but can't find the link. It
illustrated the Belgian technique of starting to build something then
losing interest (Antwerp, Charleroi...) or money. I didn't know the
tunnel used to be the path of the river, that's interesting.

I would look at the STIB site but I object strongly to all that bolx
about forbidding anyone from linking to their site without permission.

Richard.