Old January 10th 05, 12:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark Brader Mark Brader is offline

Default Driving on the wrong side of the road (was: London Squares)

Martin Underwood:
If we'd done it several decades ago, it would have been feasible, but
nowadays it's not a realistic option. What a shame that The World didn't
agree right from the outset of the motor car to drive on the same side of
the road ...

Well, at least there are no longer any countries where it varies from one
part of the country to another.

It's always intrigued me that America chose to drive on the right,
given the large number of British people who settled there. No doubt
the number of immigrants from other European countries swayed the
argument.

On the contrary, it descends from differences in the way horses were used.

Which countries still drive on the left?

- UK/Ireland, obviously
- Channel Islands
- Australia
- Malta
- Gibraltar? Or does that drive on the left like Spain?
- Japan (I wonder why)

What about former British colonies like India?

All of the above except Gibraltar. Most places that drive on the left
are around the Indian Ocean; the exceptions, like Japan and Britain,
are island countries.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Pleasant dreams!"