Old August 9th 03, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default New Met Line Trains

Roy Stilling wrote:
Matthew Malthouse wrote:

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:56:22 +0100 CJG wrote:
} I heard a story that new Met Trains are going to have a form of
} air-conditioning fitted (although for obvious reasons it won't
work } underground).

Air con would move heat from inside the trains to outside.

In a tunnel what would be lacking is a means of moving the heat from
the tunnel to outside. That isn't difficult, just expensive.

I posted a comment to the Mayors air-con competition on the LU website
the other week asking why, as their website says they pump thirty
million litres of water a day out of the system due to the rising
water table, that water can't be used to transfer excess heat from
aircon out too.

There was an item on BBC1 London News earlier this week which showed some
academic demonstrating a model of just such a system, using ground water to
cool the trains. Thanks to the usual journalistic standard of BBC London
News (or indeed any BBC TV news these days), it wasn't possible to find out
much more about it. Does anyone know if this is a viable system for
existing lines?
--
Richard J.