Old January 10th 05, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mrs Redboots Mrs Redboots is offline

Default London Squares

Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 9 Jan 2005:

"Richard J." wrote in message
news
Martin Underwood wrote:
"Niklas Karlsson" wrote in message

Ever noticed those white oval plates with GB on them? Ever thought how
their owners managed to drive in LHD countries? The idea that you would
have to scrap all RHD cars if we changed the rule of the road is absurd.
Yes, there are some problems, and overtaking on narrow
single-carriageway roads without a passenger to help you is nasty , but
I've never had a problem on a motorway apart from paying at the péage
where the kiosk is on the British nearside.

If I had to drive in mainland Europe, I'd always hire a car locally and
wouldn't contemplate taking my own RHD car over there -

We always take our own, and have never had a problem. And as most of
our holidays tend to be motoring holidays, we in fact drive *more* on
the right-hand side of the road than we do on the left!

Which countries still drive on the left?

- UK/Ireland, obviously
- Channel Islands
- Australia
- Malta
- Gibraltar? Or does that drive on the left like Spain?
- Japan (I wonder why)

What about former British colonies like India? I *think* they still drive on
the left.

India, Pakistan, Hong Kong - not sure about mainland China, though.
Which countries did Michael Palin visit on the recent "Himalaya" show?
I know most of the cars one saw were right-hand drive.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/