Old January 10th 05, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Driving on the wrong side of the road (was: London Squares)

I drove through Sweden about 3 weeks before the change-over to the
right. We drove over a bridge over an inlet in the coast from Norway and
there was a sign telling you to change sides. We stopped and looked round -
it's obviously a possibly dangerous manoevre, and not one you do every day,
and then drove over to the left side. It felt oddly naughty.

The road signs and traffic lights had all been moved to the other
side, it was very strange, but most off-putting were the road-paintings,
which had been covered up with black PVC, but it had been torn off. So you
had to drive right over an arrow pointing straight at you! It took some
doing.

Göteborg trams were going to continue, they were coupled in
back-to-back pairs, a left-hander and a right-hander. On change-over day they
would be driven from the other end in the other direction. The change-over
was made the opportunity for getting rid of the trams in HÄlsingborg, and
probably some other places too.

There was no problem going into Denmark, we simply drove onto the
ferry on the left and off on the right.

3 years ago, I drove onto the ferry at Eckerö (Åland Islands) on the
way to Sweden and the money collector (a Finn by nationality) openly laughed
at my RHD car with its "wheel at the wrong side" (med hjulet på fell siden).
He was in his mid 20s and cannot have remembered that Sweden once had
left-hand traffic.

Michael Bell