Old January 10th 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive Page Clive Page is offline

Default Right hand traffic (was London Squares)

In article , Michael Bell
writes
I remember calculating at the time that the Swedish change-over cost 2 week's
GNP. That's an awful lot of money. And for what? Junction 8 on the M1 was
designed "wrong way round" in Mrs Castle's time to test the idea of designing
junctions so that they could be changed over to right-hand drive, but the
experiment was never repeated.

Ah, is that the reason? I've always felt that the northbound entry to
the M1 at J8 is by far the most dangerous that I've seen on UK motorways
- first you have to negotiate a rather sharp bend and then accelerate up
to the prevailing traffic speed, usually around 70 mph and merge, all in
about 100 metres, far shorter than anywhere else. I'm surprised that
there aren't more accidents there, and am amazed that the authorities
have never lengthened the slip road.

--
Clive Page