Old August 9th 03, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stephen Furley Stephen Furley is offline

Default Shielding 750 volt 3rd rail ?

Dave wrote in message ...

The live rail is always furthest from the platform. It would have to be
a spectacular fall in order to land on the live rail.

Usually, but not always. Where there is a platform on both sides of
the track one of them has to be on the same side as the conductor
rail. Norwood Junction sprigs to mind, and I think this situation
also existed at Ryde Pier Head when it was first electrified.

I can also think of a case where there was, until recently, a
conductor rail on the platform side when there was a platform on only
one Side. This was at London Bridge, where the conductor rail had to
be on the platform side for a short distance because of a crossover
which I believe was used to allow the locomotive of a mail train to
run around. It was disused for some years before removal. I suspect
that the same situation also existed in other places. Generally, I
think the third rail system is acceptably safe, but I don't like
conductor rails below platform edges.