Old January 11th 05, 07:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Niklas Karlsson Niklas Karlsson is offline

Default Driving on the wrong side of the road (was: London Squares)

In article , Michael Bell wrote:
I drove through Sweden about 3 weeks before the change-over to the
right. We drove over a bridge over an inlet in the coast from Norway and
there was a sign telling you to change sides. We stopped and looked round -
it's obviously a possibly dangerous manoevre, and not one you do every day,
and then drove over to the left side. It felt oddly naughty.

I'm a bit young to remember the changeover personally. I do know that
when I was constantly flying back and forth between Sweden and the UK
for job interviews, hunting down accommodation and so forth in London, I
got very, very confused as to which way to look when crossing the road.

I ended up just looking both ways before stepping onto the road...

3 years ago, I drove onto the ferry at Eckerö (Åland Islands) on the
way to Sweden and the money collector (a Finn by nationality) openly laughed
at my RHD car with its "wheel at the wrong side" (med hjulet på fell siden).

Med ratten pÕ fel sida. (The steering wheel has its own noun in Swedish)

He was in his mid 20s and cannot have remembered that Sweden once had
left-hand traffic.

I'm in my mid 20s as well - just with some interest in history and
transport. :-)

Niklas
--
"I figure that publicly acknowledged lunacy in politics is a trend that should
be encouraged to help undermine the stealthy political lunacy that has made our