Old January 11th 05, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Terry Harper Terry Harper is offline

Default Right hand traffic (was London Squares)

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

They need to lengthen the slip roads on service stations as well. The
worst are the oldest ones, which often have a give way right before
the slip road so you can't start accelerating until you're on it, and
most are far too short and often have tarmac in very poor condition.
Most need, IMO, to be twice as long as they currently are.

Downright dangerous, and the worst thing is that all you'd need to fix
it is a can of paint (and a slightly narrowed hard shoulder) in most
cases. I'm not familiar with J8 as I rarely go south of 13 by car,
but I suspect it's similar.

Really the answer is to provide an extra lane between junctions, so that
there is never any need to merge off a slip road.

The solution in some places has been to abolish the inside lane between on
and off ramps. Again a paint job, but needing some changed overhead signs.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm