Old January 11th 05, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stephen Osborn Stephen Osborn is offline

Default What determines what 'region' a locality is in? (Was Red buses)

"Brimstone" wrote in message

"Stephen Osborn" wrote in message

I live in the Borough of Lewisham but the boundary with Bromley is no

more
than 200 yds away and there will be, of course, analagous places close

Bexley but clearly in London.

If I cross the boundary into Bromley I do not see any material

difference,
not immediately and not for many miles. In broad terms the centre of
Bromley and the center of Lewisham are very similar (and very similar to
many other 'town' centres, but that is a different topic).

London used to be a tiny area on the north bank of Thames and has
gradually
grown. It seems to me that where there is a continuous built up area
there
is one city (or Metropolitan Area if you want). By that standard,

Bexley,
Bromley, Croydon etc are already part London and have been for many

years.

People of the Black Country would seriously disagree with you as would the
people of Salford.

As would Nick no doubt. I don't agree.

De facto a continuous built up area is a single _something_, the only
question is what. The phrase Metropolitan Area is used because these
somethings are relatively new and contain a number of things already called
cities.
--
regards

Stephen