Old January 11th 05, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim tim is offline

Default Oyster prepay fare capping

"David Jackman" wrote in message
52.50...
Dave Arquati wrote in
:

I believe TfL are planning a reduced fare for a combined bus + Tube
journey using prepay, but this could be a while off as they wait for
each new Oyster product to "embed" itself (initial prepay, then bus
prepay, then peak bus fares, and then probably capping).

A discounted "through" bus fare would be excellent but could be open to
abuse - if it were based on a reasonable time allowance (say, 45 mins
between touching in on the first bus and the second) then you could make
a short bus journey, get off and do something, and get back on the
return bus.

I assume it is too much to expect this to mean that one fare would allow
unlimited travel for an hour (the way many continental systems work)
but we
will see yet more complexity added to an already over complex system?

(some systems, I think Berlin, now explicitly disallow a return journey
for
the one fare, even if within the hour)

Most european systems work this way. The ticket is for a
single ride, with no doubling back or circular journeys.
But as this is pretty difficult to enforce this, the time-limit is
there as well.

I can't say I've ever see a timed ticket (except a full day)
that is defined as unlimited rides.

tim