Old January 11th 05, 06:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Brimstone Brimstone is offline

Default "The Subterranean Railway" - Wolmar

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:18:51 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

Jack Taylor wrote:
"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
news On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 18:10:01 +0100, "Alan \(in Brussels\)"
wrote:

Press clipping forwarded FYI, by Alan (in Brussels) :

Wolmar is Britain's foremost expert on public transport issues,
SNIP rest of review by Ian Marchant

He's the foremost expert on public transport is he? I think I'll
have to disagree with that.

Only in his own mind.

Has he veer suggested that he is, or is it other people who consult
him and describe him thus?

I can't say whether he has ever said it or not. However he does not
stop those in the media who "consult" him from making such outrageous
claims.
I just think he is someone who has carved a niche for himself based on
little knowledge and making the odd controversial comment.

If he is not "Britain's foremost expert on public transport issues"
then would you care to suggest who is?

I don't think there is one single expert. However on rail issues I can
think of Richard Hope, the former editor of Railway Gazette, who
sometimes appears on the telly in times of "crisis" as one of the most
eloquent and knowledgeable experts on the railways. He always keeps
things in proportion and is a voice of sanity in the face of quite
ludicrous ill informed comment by "the media". I usually stop
shouting at the television when he pops up to say something sensible.
I cannot watch television news reports on train crashes or
derailments or other "crises" that cause "fury amongst passengers"
because I end up getting
so cross!

Roger Ford of Modern Railways and Derek Rayner (ex BR safety chap) are
two others who I consider know their stuff and will say it how they
see
it while remaining considered and reasonable. I've met Roger briefly
but not the other named gentlemen.

I cannot think of an equivalent spokesperson on the bus industry but
then buses rarely make the news anyway - shame though.

RIchard Hope would also be able to comment on light rail and tram
issues as Railway Gazette covers those modes.

A sensible response, thank you.