Old January 11th 05, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default London Squares

In message , usenet
writes
Martin Underwood wrote:
snip
It's always intrigued me that America chose to drive on the right,
given the large number of British people who settled there. No doubt
the number of immigrants from other European countries swayed the
argument.

This web-page has some interesting ideas on the reasons behind
left/right driving, taken mostly from the book: 'The Rule of the Road:
An International Guide to History and Practice' by Peter Kincaid .

I'm not sure what you mean by "this webpage" but the one I and others
mentioned ....

http://users.pandora.be/worldstandar...ft.htm#history

suggests that the type of very large wagon teams used in the USA (but
not GB) were driven by a rider on the left rear horse ("so he could keep
his right arm free to lash the team") and since he was sitting on the
left the natural position was to keep to the right of road. I have no
idea if that really is the explanation, but it seems plausible.

--
Paul Terry