Old August 10th 03, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Steve is offline

Default Compensation For Delays

Dave wrote in news:X$bdwMM4qiM$EwF
:

Stewart writes
May I ask why some people on this group are so rude to others ?

Only to fools.

I'm quite new to this newsgroup, and am very interested in London's
transport, but I am scared to raise any points as I may get a barrel of
abuse.

If you ask a 'sensible' question (e.g. one that hasn't already been
asked in the past few days) or make a 'sensible' point (e.g. not trying
to blame LU management for the hot weather), then you'll be fine.

The issue is not the hot weather but how LU management and staff respond to
such problems. When there are no trains/delays you never get decent
information, the station staff tend to huddle together rather than making
themselvels available for the people that are supposed to help. The lack of
initiative of these staff, when you suggest something the response is to
write to LU in rather than than take it on themselves despite that fact
that 50% of SAs serve no purpose since they are always around in pairs.

When there are problems you will frequently and without notice be chucked
of a train because the driver has to clock off, it may be 30mins before
clocking off time but they must get back to the depot to clock off. There
are two issues with this, one is the attitude of the drivers to sod the
passengers, the other is the stupidity of sending that driver on that route
and not warning people before that this train is going nowhere - i.e sod
the passengers again.

Even in normal operating trains will change destination to make the figures
look better, i.e. a full train going via bank will change to Charing X at
Camden because there are not enough trains on that branch, the calculation
that the people on the train were going to via bank does not matter - its
just about numbers of trains. Then there is "we are holding this train to
regulate the service", this usually happens when the train is full and
there is not customer benefit to delaying a full train of people but
management want to have a equal distance between trains - again sod the
passenger.

When the drivers strike because their 35K + generous holidays is not enough
the management play political games claiming whatever percent of service is
running despite the service being mostly non-existance; the would rather
save face then give the public useful information so they can attempt to
plan their journey.

The culture of LU is everything you don't want, there is a can't do
attitude to anything.