Old January 13th 05, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Rich Mallard Rich Mallard is offline

Default London or Not (try to cross-post to uk.transport.kent ??)

"Solar Penguin" wrote in message

--- Nick said...

we have a right to label our area as Kent if we wish.

(*snip*)
don't deny my neighbours'
and my right to choose our county affiliation.

Is this really a right? Is it mentioned anywhere in the Charter of
Human Rights or enshrined in an act of Parliament or anything like that?

I only ask because when people are trapped in a losing argument
(especially in Usenet) they normally start bluffing about non-existent
rights. It's the stage before mentioning Nazis. So I do tend to get a
bit cynical when people start mentioning strange rights that no-one's
ever heard of before...

It doesn't look like a losing argument to me. So, if I decide to ban you
from being called Solar Penguin and dictate that you must now be called
Lunar Rat, is that reasonable? You would have "every right" to choose your
name and label, not because there is an specific act of parliament that says
so, but because it would be commonly held as reasonable IMO.