Old January 15th 05, 02:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Cooper Nick Cooper is offline

Default London or Not (try to cross-post to uk.transport.kent ??)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:54:06 +0000, Steve Fitzgerald
] wrote:

In message , Axlegrease
writes

My spouse and I both lived further out in Essex "proper" before we
married. The need to find somewhere to live for us and our child,
within reasonable commuting distance of our jobs which were then in the
Square Mile, brought us more or less accidentally to this borough. Just
because we stepped over an invisible line, it didn't mean we stopped
being Essex people.

So, by your theory, perhaps I should now declare the Lancashire People's
Republic of Newham as I now live there?

You 'chose' to live in a London Borough.... live with it.

Oh, I'm now a Londoner (lives there, pays council tax etc. etc.) who
just happens to originate from Lancashire.

Well, we can't hold it against you for coming from the "wrong" side of
the Pennines, Steve...

Seriously though, as a Yorkshireman-by-birth now living on the
Enfield/Harringey border for over three years, I have no problem with
accepting the status of "naturalised Londoner." I live here, work
here, and no doubt will continue to to enjoy doing so for many years
to come. Strangely, it seems that those in this thread who have a
"problem" with living in London have always been a lot closer to the
city than we have - a strange sort of inverted snobbery, really!
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk