Old January 15th 05, 10:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Guy Perry Guy Perry is offline

Default Buses - exhaust smoke and warming up

David B wrote:

The engines in modern buses now such as the Volvo B7TL or Dennis Trident or
even the Mercedes Citaro bendibuses tend to be quite small at 7 litres, a
move away from larger engines.

The Citaro G with only 7 litres, I doubt that. The standard and the L
both have the same 12 litre engine, only one is limited to 250hp and the
other develops 350hp.

The mini buses such as Darts have even
smaller engines such as 5.9 litre for the older ones, to 3.9 litre for the
newest Dart SLF.

The mini and midi buses are somewhat different ;-)

But yes they can be a bit smoke on start up. Once running
however I dare any car driver to floor his (diesel) car against its
rev-limiter and not be scared of either the engine falling to bits or large
amounts of smoke coming out.

But then that's going to be a deep black cloud - soot. It is said that
one _should_ do this every now and then, just to clean the exhaust system.

Mind you my coach won't rev fully in neutral
against the rev-limiter. Are cars protected in the same way now?

Isn't every diesel? You can only kill it with the wrong gear
downhill/slowing down. Everything other is a myth.