Old January 16th 05, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Right hand traffic (was London Squares)

"Michael Bell" wrote in message
In article , tim

But this isn't why [M25 between A3 and M4] is like that.

It is because when they widened to 4 lanes it was too
expensive to rebuild the junction so the extra lane
was only built between the junctions. As you say it
works well, but I don't think that they
often do it that way by design.

The motorways in Washington New Town (was County Durham,
now Tyne & Wear) are all like that. It is obviously planned like that.
It works well, as it should.

I believe that the North Circular was planned and built like that from Hale
End Rd to Palmers Green, and I know that the scrapped plan for Palmers Green
to Bound Green Road inclusive was also like that (2+2 lanes through
junctions and 3+3 between them).

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped