Old January 16th 05, 11:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default Oyster Madness OT

On 16 Jan 2005 14:03:26 -0800, wrote:
My point exactly - it was renamed as a university when labour devalued
degrees by converting polys into universities and giving them degree
awarding powers.

I think there was a devaluation, but rather it was the poly degrees
that were adversely affected, when the CNAA was done away with. A big
name university may have been around for long enough to build trust in
the degrees, but what about the new universities that were created?

I'm not ashamed one bit of my poly education, at an institute that was
founded before the University of London. Sadly it did not include
Internet smileys, and educate me about which one to use for a tongue
sticking out. (Though even more off-topic, Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticon says that the first emoticon
was used in a newspaper ad in 1953.)

Richard.