Old January 23rd 05, 10:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default London supremacy

In article , Arthur Figgis
URL:mailto
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:32:18 +0000, Michael Bell
wrote:

It certainly is true that the Yorkshire/Lincolnshire created difficulties
for Humberside,

Like, no-one wanted the thing?

but if we had to house another 40 million by 2000 (5 years
ago!) those difficulties would have been overcome!

What difference did it make to housing? The existence of the local
authority doesn't affect the amount of land available. Even after the
demise of the unloved council it was still mostly the same councillors
running things.

I suppose the Powers That Were could have swamped the locals'
hostility to Humberside with indifference, by shipping in vast numbers
of people from well outside the Yorks/Lincs area who would probably be
less bothered about it, but I'm not sure what that would really
achieve!

Certainly very few wanted it. But if living space for 40 Million people has
to be created, it would be a huge expansion of existing towns and the
government would have to make decisions where they should live. Humberside
really is a very empty area. But the need never arose!

Michael Bell