Old January 24th 05, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] jonnelledge@hotmail.com is offline

Default Frequent service maps...

John Rowland
I am not convinced that the station names should
be coloured at all, especially when you consider that some

interchanges have
a multiple blob which is coloured half frequent and half infrequent
(incidentally the difference between the frequent and infrequent blobs

at an
interchange is not clear enough IMO). I can not think of a perfect

solution
right now.

Sorry, I wasn't clear there. I didn't intend that station names should
be coloured, merely the lines they serve - so you could see at a glance
that Bexleyheath was served from Victoria and Charing Cross, for
example.

I think the best model I've seen for a suburban rail map - although it
does rather abandon the Beck model - is the map of rail services in the
Ile de France. Helpfully, I can't find it online; but it uses a
different colour for each RER line, and then a hollow line of the same
colour for the suburban services which feed it. I'd propose a slightly
different model, in which each London terminal was given a colour, and
the frequent and in-frequent routes serving it differentiated in some
way - either by filled/hollow lines (with perhaps a different thickness
used to differentiate NR from LUL lines); or hollow/broken lines. You'd
probably need a slight rethink to involve the light rail lines though.

You know, it's five years since I made that map on your site, and I
find I'm still obsessing over this stuff. I wonder if I have a syndrome
of some sort.

Jonn